XE7 - 'Debug process not initialized'

This is the forum for miscellaneous technical/programming questions.

Moderator: 2ffat

Re: XE7 - 'Debug process not initialized'

Postby Azazaz » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:42 am

Okay, the problem got so bad that I literally could not create and build a new blank form project and run it in debug mode. Not just sometimes, but always.

After having tried everything suggested here and a whole lot more (discussions about this issue are all over the internet, dating back several years), I'm happy to report that the problem has gone away, at least for now.

What did I do?

I installed Windows 10.

That's it. That's all.

I don't know how long this fix will last. I've had false hopes of eliminating this issue before, but I thought I'd let the forum know in case someone else has similar trouble, maybe my "solution" will hold up and maybe be your solution.

Croxxing fingers.
Azazaz
BCBJ Guru
BCBJ Guru

Postby Azazaz » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:12 pm

Okay, I spoke too soon. The problem is back. I guess it's a complete uninstall and reinstall from scratch now -- not that I really expect that to help very much based on what others with this problem have said.
Azazaz
BCBJ Guru
BCBJ Guru

Postby smd » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:21 pm

It really sounds like something in your program, not in XE8, your operating system, or computer. You may be crashing threads that are not getting closed properly, overrunning a buffer causing corrupted data, passing a pointer that points to the wrong thing, not closing files or threads properly, or something as such.

Given the consistency of your problem, that a clean up fixes it temporarily but as you use it everything gets worse, it sounds like your program not XE8.

Could also be hardware issuers with your disk. Maybe you have corrupted sectors caused by files not being closed properly or you have a hardware problem with your disk drive.

So many possibilities. Given all you have tried, and given that even installing a new operating system did not fix it, I suggest examining your program carefully, and doing small tests on every segment to find where the problem is. Also do some hardware tests.

All it takes is one wrong line of code that corrupts the stack or memory to cause the problems you are describing.
-----------------------------
Scott
smd
BCBJ Guru
BCBJ Guru

Postby smd » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:44 pm

One other thing I found. The re-open menu is buggy. I clear it on regular basis. But sometimes it crashes XE8 when I try to clear it. I found by deleting each entry one by one instead of the clear button, then close and restart fixes that problem. I used to run the repair to fix it, which it did, but found it fixed it because it cleared that by overwriting it.

From file menu, select re-open, select properties, delete everything, close XE8 and start over

Also go to

\users\public\public documents\embarcadero\studio\16.0\

and poke around the folders and see if a projects folder is there. that is where XE8 does temporary saves. delete them.

delete the win32 folder in your project directory. it will recreate next time you compile.
also delete the _history (it is a hidden folder) in your source file folders.
-----------------------------
Scott
smd
BCBJ Guru
BCBJ Guru

Postby Azazaz » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:47 pm

The problem is a little bit more manageable now. I discovered if I don't allow MalwareBytes Pro to ever load when booting up, the problem goes from always to about 25% of the time. Further, I can kill the process and reload and proceed instead of having to reboot every time.

No idea what is going on, but apparently MalwareBytes is changing something about my ram or environment that is, well, not causing this, but contributing to it somehow.

Hopefully, the problem will get even more manageable and your advice will come in handy when I move to XE8.
Azazaz
BCBJ Guru
BCBJ Guru

Postby rlebeau » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:25 pm

Azazaz wrote:Frankly, I would rather they fix all or most of these enduring bugs than add yet more functionality that may or may not work.

A very common sentiment shared by many, sadly.
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
Lebeau Software
rlebeau
BCBJ Author
BCBJ Author

Postby Azazaz » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:26 am

Still having this problem. If anything, it is worse in XE8.

The closest thing I have found to a work-around is to use Glary Utilities Memory Optimization every time before trying to run the application in debug mode. It seems to help, but is a bit time consuming and is not a fix.

Another thing that seems to help is to turn off as many services as possible, get everything I can out of the startup apps, eliminate especially MalwareBytes Pro, use Task Manager to eliminate various other nonessentials and close and reopen the IDE frequently. But again, nothing works well enough to be called a fix.

I have also tried everything suggested in this thread. And I don't believe it has anything to do with my project as I can sometimes get the error after a cold boot with a brand new project.

So ,,, any other ideas?

And ... has anyone found out yet if this is going to continue to be a problem with Seattle? If so, would anyone care to join me in starting a petition, perhaps public, to ask Embarcadero to at last address this issue?
Azazaz
BCBJ Guru
BCBJ Guru

Postby Azazaz » Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:18 pm

I'm not sure if anyone is following this thread, but the problem persists.

Embarcadero doesn't seem interested in fixing it, and I've been trying to figure it out.

All I have been able to discover is that Windows 10 does not consider Program Files (x86)\Embarcadero\Studio\16.0\bin\comp32x.dll, which seems to be the culprit (for Delphi users anyway) based on various QA posts about this problem over at Embarcadero, to be a valid DLL.

When using either the 32 or 64 bit version of regvsvr32.exe, I get the same error message:

"The module "comp32x.dll" was loaded but the entry-point DllRegisterServer was not found.

"Make sure that "comp32x.dll" is a valid DLL or OCX file and then try again."

According to Microsoft (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/249873) this means "The specified Dll name is not a .dll or .ocx file."

So if it is not a valid DLL, what is it?

Any thoughts?
Azazaz
BCBJ Guru
BCBJ Guru

Postby rlebeau » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:41 pm

Azazaz wrote:When using either the 32 or 64 bit version of regvsvr32.exe, I get the same error message:

"The module "comp32x.dll" was loaded but the entry-point DllRegisterServer was not found.

Read that error message again more carefully:

"The module "comp32x.dll" was loaded but the entry-point DllRegisterServer was not found."

That means the DLL is not a COM DLL, so it cannot be registered using regsvr32.exe. I looked at comp32x.dll in my XE2, and it does not export any of the standard COM functions. So comp32x.dll is definitely not a COM DLL and has not been so for a long, if it ever was to begin with.

What gave you the idea that you need to register comp32x.dll with COM?
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
Lebeau Software
rlebeau
BCBJ Author
BCBJ Author

Postby pidgi2009 » Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:39 pm

May I suggest something that seems to work for me.
I often runs into the LME288 or LME286 errors, that seem to be on the same magnitude than your own.
1 - Run 'Command Prompt' as administrator
2 - type this, replacing the XXXX by your RAM amount in Megs ( 3 Gigs = 3 X 1024 = 3072)
bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVa XXXX (Capitals and spaces seem to be important)
3 - reboot

In my tests, 3072 seem to be a very good value, even with larger RAM available
I hope that helps.

Pierre Jetté
pidgi2009
BCBJ Veteran
BCBJ Veteran

Postby Azazaz » Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:59 pm

Remy,

I was just getting very tired and desperate, and I guess was not paying enough attention. My bad.

Pierre,

I may try that. Thanks! Right now, I'm trying something else I am about to post about.
Azazaz
BCBJ Guru
BCBJ Guru

Previous

Return to Technical