XE10 IDE Font and Style Registry Hack

This is the forum for miscellaneous technical/programming questions.

Moderator: 2ffat

XE10 IDE Font and Style Registry Hack

Postby smd » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:38 am

In the previous version of RAD Studio, someone posted on here a registry hack for changing the font and style used by the IDE. I just installed XE10 and Embarcadero is still using those huge fonts. I poked through the registry but could not find an entry that set the font and size for the IDE.

Has anyone figured out how to hack XE10 to change the IDE font and size?

Oh, and they are still using the ugly blue instead of my system color scheme.
Last edited by smd on Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------
Scott
smd
BCBJ Guru
BCBJ Guru

Re: XE10 IDE Font and Style Registry Hack

Postby smd » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:08 pm

On a side note. After installing XE10, I had errors when compiling my XE8 created project with some third party package files not being found (I already re-installed the third party packages). Deleting all but my source files (and backed up of course) then making a new C++ project then adding my source files back in solved that problem. Than s re-tweak the project options, and a couple of specific project tweaks on a couple of files, it then compiled without error.

So, as usual, after upgrading, you have to remake your project file from scratch.
Last edited by smd on Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott
smd
BCBJ Guru
BCBJ Guru

Postby smd » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:32 pm

OK, here is how to fix the IDE font. Attached is a zip file with a .reg file that will make the registry setting to change the font and get rid of that awful blue. I chose the Segoe UI font at 8 point size, but you can edit the file or the registry entry to change it to you favorite font. Below is the contents of the file.

It creates a new entry called ModernTheme. I checked after a clean install and this entry does not already exist in the registry.

Code: Select all
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Embarcadero\BDS\17.0\ModernTheme]
"FontName"="Segoe UI"
"FontSize"=dword:00000008
"MainToolBarColor"="clBtnFace"

You can cut and paste that into a text file with a .reg file type, then double click on it.

Note that I am using Windows 8.1 and have not tested this on Windows 10 or 7.

Or you can download the attached file which is the same as above
Attachments
XE10_Font_Fix.zip
(387 Bytes) Downloaded 418 times
Scott
smd
BCBJ Guru
BCBJ Guru

Postby smd » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:13 pm

If you are like me and find those structural highlighting lines annoying, XE10 now has an options under Tools->Options to turn off structural highlighting.
Scott
smd
BCBJ Guru
BCBJ Guru

Postby rlebeau » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:22 pm

smd wrote:On a side note. After installing XE10, I had errors when compiling my XE8 created project with some third party package files not being found (I already re-installed the third party packages).

Might be related to the fact that each IDE install messes around with the system PATH environment variable, injecting its own paths IN FRONT OF existing paths instead of BEHIND them.

smd wrote:So, as usual, after upgrading, you have to remake your project file from scratch.

Only when migrating an existing project to a newer IDE version. Installing a newer IDE version should not affect an older IDE version's ability to compile projects for that older version.
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
Lebeau Software
rlebeau
BCBJ Author
BCBJ Author

Return to Technical