Suggestions for an Advantage Database Server alternative?

This is the forum for miscellaneous technical/programming questions.

Moderator: 2ffat

Suggestions for an Advantage Database Server alternative?

Postby Azazaz » Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:13 pm

First, let me preface this by saying I don't know much about databases.

When I started, I decided to use the Advantage Database primarily because the local version was free, could be embedded and because it seemed to be in common use by Delphi developers.

But now, with the release of 10 Seattle, I'm looking to migrate away from the Advantage Database Server and would like to do so with as few headaches as possible.

I'm thinking something open source might be better. What do you think? Any suggestions?

Of course, I'm open to other suggestions as well, besides open source, if the advantages are understandable and obvious to me.

I am not currently doing development for mobile devices (iPad, Android), but hope to fairly soon.

With that in mind, what would be the pros and cons of making the switch to the recommended database, in terms of ease now, and also in terms of future development?

I appreciate any advice or experiences you can offer. Thanks!!
Azazaz
BCBJ Guru
BCBJ Guru

Re: Suggestions for an Advantage Database Server alternative

Postby 2ffat » Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:48 am

Embarcedaro gives you several options: Interbase/IBLite, MySQL, SQLite, MongoDB (NoSQL), NexusDB, MSSQL etc. I'm a big fan of Firebird. If memory serves me right Interbase (IB) and Firebird (FB) will the closest to Advantage in terms of set up, administration, etc. IB is not open source but is included with XE10. FB is a spin-off from an earlier version of IB and is well supported. Both have stand alone or embedded versions.
James P. Cottingham

Look at me still talking
when there is science to do.
2ffat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Postby Azazaz » Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:14 am

I've heard of Firebird, but have never checked it out.

I will now.

Thanks!
Azazaz
BCBJ Guru
BCBJ Guru

Postby Lena » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:58 am

I like PostgreSQL.
Lena
BCBJ Master
BCBJ Master

Postby macicogna » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:21 am

Azazaz,

If you do not have any very special need with your data, e.g. as georeferencial data, I would recommend to you some testing with Firebird and SQLite.

I'm using Firebird since 2003/2004 and it never disappointed me. It is very light, simple to install and manage. Also, as a recent article of mine in BCBJournal, it is very simple to get it embedded with your application.

Thinking in mobile flavor, maybe SQLite is preferable, but there is a new Firebird install option for Android OS.

Now I'm testing SQLite as a embedded option of Firebird, just to publish a complementary article. In both I'm using ZeosLib as an opensource (GPL licensed) data access framework.

Best,

Marcelo.
macicogna
BCBJ Veteran
BCBJ Veteran

Return to Technical