"Failed to read ImageList data from stream"

This is the forum for miscellaneous technical/programming questions.

Moderator: 2ffat

"Failed to read ImageList data from stream"

Postby sasumner » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:15 am

I'm running XE7 creating a 32-bit VCL app and some of my users are experiencing a "Error reading xxxxImageList.Bitmap: Failed to read ImageList data from stream" error when my application starts up.

After some investigation, it turns out that these users are a very small minority that are using a 32-bit version of Windows 7 (the vast majority of my users are running Windows 7 64-bit).

I currently have no access myself to any Win7 32 bit machine to work with, but I may have to get one.

Does this error strike a chord with anyone, maybe a simple solution, before I get too involved in the depths of this problem?
sasumner
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: "Failed to read ImageList data from stream"

Postby rlebeau » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:10 pm

The bitmaps used in the ImageList API are sensitive to display resolution issues. It is not unheard of to run into problems like this when the display resolution of the deployment machine does not match the display resolution of the development machine. You might try switching to an alternative solution, like using bitmaps in resources that are loaded at runtime. Or using a PNG-based ImageList instead of a BMP-based ImageList.
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
Lebeau Software
rlebeau
BCBJ Author
BCBJ Author

Return to Technical