December 2009 Developer's Poll

Use this forum for polls.

How often does the BCB Journal cover a topic that is relevant to your area of development?

(a) About every month
16%
(b) About every other month
24%
(c) About every 3-5 months
40%
(d) About every 6-9 months
16%
(e) About once a year
4%

Total votes : 25

December 2009 Developer's Poll

Postby Damon » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:21 pm

Last poll of Volume 13!

This poll is designed to provide us feedback so that we can steer the Journal in Volume 14 to cover topics that are relevant to everyone. If we haven't recently covered a topic that you'd like to see, please do reply to this post. Similarly, if your answer to the poll is "About once every N years," where N > 1, please too leave a reply with your desired topic(s).

Next month, I will follow-up with a poll on areas of development to hopefully discover clusters of interest.

Thanks!
Damon
Damon Chandler
Editor-in-Chief
C++Builder Developer's Journal
http://bcbjournal.com
Damon
BCBJ Editor and Admin
BCBJ Editor and Admin

Re: December 2009 Developer's Poll

Postby 2ffat » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:52 am

I've always enjoyed the "Back to Basics" articles from time to time. Personally, I feel this is even more important now that the newer versions of C++ Builder include things like Unicode, Boost, Jedi, etc.

I would like to see someone revisit some of the older articles about things like string/AnsiStrings, etc. and how they are now different (or the same) in new C++ Builder.

I would also like to see what Boost, etc. has to offer and how we can use it.
James P. Cottingham

Look at me still talking
when there is science to do.
2ffat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Postby mjfreelancing » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:07 am

I would normally vote, but I think my response would be biased. I've got me eyes on this question, so be sure to post your wishes here.
mjfreelancing

Postby smays » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:26 pm

I agree with 2ffat, I would like to see more of the Back to Basics type of articles. I would also like to see more articles explaining the intention/how to use 'traditional' VCL that has shipped with most of the Builder versions, but I have no idea how to use.

Steve.
smays
BCBJ Master
BCBJ Master

Postby arisme » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:52 pm

smays wrote:I agree with 2ffat, I would like to see more of the Back to Basics type of articles.

Hear, hear - with a twist. I would like to see them in the style of the "C++Builder How-To" book by John Miano, Tom Cabanski and Haroold Howe. The tremendous advantage of the How-To approach is that you not only get a practical understanding of the do's and don'ts of each example, but also additional information about how the various elements relate to each other and the Windows environment and API. This more complete picture of the underlying principles provides answers to questions about where else the techniques might be used or adapted for other purposes.

The choice and preparation of a How-To style example and coding requires considerably more effort by the author(s), but is more useful to the reader by an order of magnitude at least.

smays wrote:I would also like to see more articles explaining the intention/how to use 'traditional' VCL... , but I have no idea how to use.

That shows just how brilliant the VCL is - you have been using it continuously ever since you asked the IDE to create your first form.

The VCL (Visual Components Library] is the collection of classes and code that generate the graphics of forms, buttons, panels, edit boxes, and other images in the IDE design mode, and your application. The classes also describe the properties and methods associated with each of the components.

However, I suspect your "intention/how to use 'traditional' VCL" may have been referring to the key features of C++ such as inheritance, function overriding, operator overloading, etc., etc. in C++Builder.

I agree that a good 'back to basics' article on those aspects would be very useful for a few reasons. First, it would provide practical code samples and understanding of how to implement them in C++Builder (not always obvious in the ever more complex beast that each new version is). Useful for newcomers to the language, and immigrants from other development environments such as Visual C++.

Second, there are a number of C++ features that are infrequently used in practice, and a refresher reference for those would be useful.

Thirdly, a proportion of the forum problem questions touch on aspects of the basics, and it would be useful to be able to refer the member to an article that you know will provide a working answer to the problem.

Aris
arisme
BCBJ Master
BCBJ Master

Postby Damon » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:07 pm

Thank you all for the suggestions so far. This is very informative and very much appreciated. Please keep them coming.

I like the idea of a "Back to Basics" series. I'm eager to cover VCL GUI topics, since this is my main area of expertise. Are there any particular VCL controls, concepts, or other VCL-related topics that's at the top of the list? Chances are, one of our editors will be able to write an article on the topic; and, of course, we always welcome articles from others.

Thanks!
Damon
Damon Chandler
Editor-in-Chief
C++Builder Developer's Journal
http://bcbjournal.com
Damon
BCBJ Editor and Admin
BCBJ Editor and Admin

Postby smays » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:20 pm

Wow, Arisme, you clearly described almost exactly what I was thinking. Thank you. When I speak of traditional VCL with which I have no idea what to do, I am referring to items like TGridPanel, etc... There may already be some articles, I just haven't encountered them.

I would also like to see some articles regarding automation (not necessarily COM related), I mean like communicating with test equipment. I have been wanting to submit an article discussing GPIB/VISA access. The latest version of NI Multisim (also known as Electronics Workbench), 11.0, is supposed to have a COM API accessible to developers like us. If we can get upgraded here, I plan to fumble through the new API and I would love to share the experiences with others.

I believe articles like this would not only be helpful, but could increase the usage of C++ Builder. It seems like (*seems like*) the automation world is largely dominated by VB and LabView. If we could show others how *much* and how *well* Builder supports database access, how easy it is to use the VCL, how easy it is to write powerful automation programs, and and how easy it is to write programs that reduce installation overhead, more people will pay attention to Builder.

{...I started writing this response nearly eight hours ago, sometime betwixt the time Arisme responded and the time Damon responded! Here goes...}

Steve.
smays
BCBJ Master
BCBJ Master

Return to Polls