February 2010 Developer's Poll

Use this forum for polls.

Do the use of third-party libraries in an article distract from the article’s readability?

(a) Yes, it usually makes the article more difficult to follow.
50%
(b) Sometimes it makes the article less readable, sometimes is makes the article more readable.
30%
(c) No, it does not usually distract from the article’s readability.
20%

Total votes : 30

February 2010 Developer's Poll

Postby Damon » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:19 pm

Thanks in advance for your votes!

Cheers,
Damon
Damon Chandler
Editor-in-Chief
C++Builder Developer's Journal
http://bcbjournal.com
Damon
BCBJ Editor and Admin
BCBJ Editor and Admin

Re: February 2010 Developer's Poll

Postby smays » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:58 pm

I chose A.

I am in favor of articles featuring third party libraries, when the article is focused on the third party vendor library itself. I realize some of the articles are meant to cover VCL that ships with Builder that may either have bugs or the class is not structured quite as conveniently as one may like and the third party vendor software was written to help with those sorts of issues. However, for the sake of learning the existing VCL in all its glory, it would be nice for the article to only show the VCL. Perhaps it would then be helpful to see an article showing a third party solution to do the same, just better-er.

One quick example of how it would be useful to see the VCL that ships with Builder in all its glory is if we work our way through the various issues discussed in the article, perhaps even release a program or two, we will better appreciate the third party solutions. Sometimes in the articles the line where the VCL ends and where the third party vendor begins appears blurred and I tend to withdraw, thereby never really giving the third party a chance.

Thanks for asking, guys!
Steve.
smays
BCBJ Master
BCBJ Master

Return to Polls