XE7 - 'Debug process not initialized'

This is the forum for miscellaneous technical/programming questions.

Moderator: 2ffat

XE7 - 'Debug process not initialized'

Postby Azazaz » Sun May 03, 2015 2:58 pm

Thanks largely to the help I've received from this forum, I now have my main project up and running with C++Builder XE7 !!! Yay.

However, I am running into an error now with XE7 that is occurring more and more frequently.

When I try to run the project application (VCL 32-bit windows) with debugging (F9), I keep getting the following:

Debugger fatal error during process reset: 'Debug process not initialized'. Please save your work and restart RAD Studio XE7.

I had this happen a few times in the past, but now it is happening almost every time I do this -- especially today, i.e., it seems to be 100% of the time at the moment.

I used to get past it by Cleaning and rebuilding the project before running it, but now that doesn't seem to be helping.

I've tried a search on the net and found that some say this has been a problem for a long time, all the way back to XE2 -- I have not seen it until now (in XE7) -- but no one seems to have a solution. .

Any ideas on what is happening or how to fix this? Thanks.
Azazaz
BCBJ Guru
BCBJ Guru

Re: XE7 - 'Debug process not initialized'

Postby HsiaLin » Sun May 03, 2015 4:30 pm

I have seen that too, only way i found to get rid of it is do a full compile, that usually makes it go away for a while.
HsiaLin
BCBJ Master
BCBJ Master

Postby Azazaz » Sun May 03, 2015 8:12 pm

Okay. Thanks.

But by a "full compile" do you mean something more than a Clean and Build of the project? That's what I generally do from the Project Manager window, i.e., right click, select 'Clean' and right click, select 'Build."

Or do you mean something more than that?
Azazaz
BCBJ Guru
BCBJ Guru

Postby HsiaLin » Sun May 03, 2015 8:23 pm

If your project is from earlier version that could be the issue. I have had to make a new blank project and add all the units to the new project before it would work right. But yeah, clean, build....usually works for me.
HsiaLin
BCBJ Master
BCBJ Master

Postby Azazaz » Sun May 03, 2015 8:38 pm

The project file was created specifically in XE7, i.e., not from an earlier version.

And the clean and build approach was working just yesterday. Not today, though.
Azazaz
BCBJ Guru
BCBJ Guru

Postby Azazaz » Tue May 12, 2015 6:35 pm

This is still happening. A lot.

I have to exit and relaunch and/or rebuild the project constantly.

I have not been able to determine a pattern. Sometimes it runs the project without error, sometimes even a few times. Other times, it doesn't. Most of the time, I guess it is about 50/50.

Could it have anything to do with the structure or build order in the project?

Could it have anything to do with something else that is project specific?

If anyone has any further advice on this, I'd sure appreciate.

And I'm wondering if anyone thinks moving on to XE8 would help any? I'm not sure all my components are up-to-date and compatible with XE8 yet, but maybe. And as this seems to have been an unresolved issue for several versions now (why doesn't it get fixed?), I have doubts about how much moving to XE8 can help, but maybe.
Azazaz
BCBJ Guru
BCBJ Guru

Postby HsiaLin » Tue May 12, 2015 9:38 pm

I went to xe8 and its same thing there too. It seems most of the XE# versions had that bug, or at least all the ones i had. What you could do is do a repair on your installation and see if it helps.
HsiaLin
BCBJ Master
BCBJ Master

Postby smd » Tue May 12, 2015 11:44 pm

I had this problem. seems to be a couple of issues. I ran the repair routine and that seemed to fix it for a while. I noticed that even after a "clean" the build folder (win32/debug) still had many compiled files in it. I deleted the folder and compiled. the problem went away. Seems to be an issue with pre-compiled information and the "clean" operation doing as good a job as I do on my bathroom (don't ask).

Also, in each folder with your source code is a hidden folder called _history. delete those also. You may need to turn on the folder option to see hidden files, which I always do anyway. The information in those folders get stagnant like last years milk sitting in my refrigerator. Just never seems to get cleaned up properly. Seems to me if I do a "Clean" operation, everything should be wiped away, but it is not.
-----------------------------
Scott
smd
BCBJ Guru
BCBJ Guru

Postby Azazaz » Fri May 15, 2015 3:00 pm

Thanks, guys.

I'll give your suggestions a try.

I noticed the other day that if I clean everything out and build the project as 'Release' and then immediately build it as 'Debug,' sometimes that seems to help.

But sometimes it doesn't.

Sometimes after doing this, if I exit the IDE and relaunch it and run the project without rebuilding it, then it works, sometimes for several launches. But sometimes not.

There just does not seem to be any pattern I've been able to discover ... so far.

Except that there does seem to be a long-standing pattern of Borland/Codegear/Embarcadero adding more and more features and capability over the years without ever getting around to addressing major long-standing bugs like this one.

Apparently, they think we should all keep shelling out hundreds or thousands of $ a year, year after year, even though they refuse to address/fix such long-standing issues. If this were the only one ... but it's not. A visit to their support forums makes it very clear that a lot of problems never really get fixed, or at least they have not been for several iterations.

Frankly, I would rather they fix all or most of these enduring bugs than add yet more functionality that may or may not work. But apparently they aren't going to do that. Not until folks decide to stop upgrading at any rate.
Azazaz
BCBJ Guru
BCBJ Guru

Postby smd » Fri May 15, 2015 3:24 pm

Azazaz wrote:Frankly, I would rather they fix all or most of these enduring bugs than add yet more functionality that may or may not work.

What? you mean you can live without yet another color picker or cute animation? THE HORROR! Why make things functional, or work at low levels, when the world knows it is all about how many like clicks you get for applying a color filter to a copyright infringed jpeg.
Scott
smd
BCBJ Guru
BCBJ Guru

Postby Azazaz » Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:07 am

This problem has only gotten worse.

I thought I'd revisit it to see if anyone has any further suggestions.

Thanks.
Azazaz
BCBJ Guru
BCBJ Guru

Postby smd » Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:37 am

This sounds like a possible problem with your computer, assuming you have carefully examined you program for memory violations, such as over running buffers or not running as administrator, try examining your computer.

Check for crapware running in the background on your computer, do a virus scan, unplug from internet, boot into safe-mode, now try running and see if the problem goes away.

Are you on a desktop or laptop? Do other programs have problems also? Do you have third party programs of any type that you are running in the background?

Download CCleaner from piriform.com, the free version works great. run the registry scan and let it fix all, then run the disk cleaner.

In CCleaner, click Tools, startup programs... it will show everything being loaded at startup. disable everything not crucial. Only need drivers for specific hardware. You might find other. disable, you can re enable them later if needed. reboot.

If you have crapware, you may need to manually delete the folders and search for them as they are tricky in hiding themselves to re install themselves. delete the folders, run CCleaner registry cleaner to remove their entries, reboot.

What operating system? Run update if it has been a while.
Scott
smd
BCBJ Guru
BCBJ Guru

Postby smd » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:10 am

One other thing I noticed. If I terminate a debug session instead of letting the program end normally, threads get corrupted. Even after exiting and restarting XE8 something is damaged in the operating system requiring a reboot to clear it. Even effects unrelated programs after a full exit from XE8. So if you are terminating a debug session instead of letting the program exit normally, consider doing a reboot.
Scott
smd
BCBJ Guru
BCBJ Guru

Postby Azazaz » Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:30 am

Thanks. This is not really anything I haven't tried already.

I have discovered that removing as much from memory as possible helps. I have also discovered that deleting all temporary files seems to help. Doing very frequent reboots helps.

And the combination of all of the above works slightly better than any one by itself.

Unfortunately, nothing really eliminates the problem, at least not for very long.

In short, when testing something, the necessary time spent at least triples, approximately, over how long it would take if not for this trouble, and since a lot of my development right now is largely in a testing phase, this means it is costing me a lot of time.

By the way, I came across someone using Twinecompile who was having this same trouble and said it disappeared overnight. I am investigating that now and will try to remember to let everyone know how it goes.
Azazaz
BCBJ Guru
BCBJ Guru

Postby smd » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:08 am

Here is something to try. I had what seemed like random crashes of the system that were not reproducible. I was watching what was going on and noticed that threads were accumulating faster than they were clearing. These were not my threads but threads initiated in the underbelly of the library routines. I had a problem with progress bars not updating, so I put a few strategically placed

Application->ProcessMessages();

into my code and all the problems went away. The problem seems that especially when debugging and terminating the program mid-stream, threads were being orphaned and remained in memory even after shutting down Rad Studio, which required a reboot to clear them.
Scott
smd
BCBJ Guru
BCBJ Guru

Next

Return to Technical