FireDAC in XE8 with update 1

This is the forum for miscellaneous technical/programming questions.

Moderator: 2ffat

FireDAC in XE8 with update 1

Postby Azazaz » Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:13 pm

First, a bit of preface:

Due to the problems I've had with the debugger not being initialized (and related troubles), I have been experimenting with another instance of the compiler inside a VirtualBox virtual machine. That way I can have the compiler installed without anything extra, which seemed simpler than reinstalling everything on my real machine from scratch and hoping I figured out what (if any) the conflict or problem may be.

So ... maybe it's helped with the debugger problem, or maybe it hasn't. I can't really tell because the project that compiles and runs fine (sometimes, except for the debugger issue described elsewhere in this forum) in the IDE in debug mode XE8 without update 1 will compile but not run in the virtual machine in the debugger in the IDE in XE8 with update 1.

It's the exact same project, using FireDAC and the same version of the Advantage server -- except for a couple of minor path differences.

The only significant difference I have been able to discover (so far) is that I installed XE8 with Update 1 in the virtual machine and did not have Update 1 installed on the real machine.

In any case, in the virtual/update 1 environment, I get the following error when I try to run the application in the IDE in debug mode:

[FireDAC][Phys][ADS] Error 5019: An invalid option was specified. Data Source must be provided in connection string.

Now this seems like it should be an easy fix. But I have not been able to figure out what the problem is. The documentation on this seems very scant, and, as I said, there doesn't seem to be any discernible difference between the two instances of the project in question.

Yes, I am probably being obtuse, as per usual.

Any ideas?
Azazaz
BCBJ Guru
BCBJ Guru

Re: FireDAC in XE8 with update 1

Postby Azazaz » Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:28 am

Okay, I've narrowed this down. It's a problem with using an Alias to point to the database tables.

Not sure why, but simply specifying the Alias in the TFDConnection Params was not working for the project inside the virtual machine, even though this approach worked fine on the real machine.

When I specified the exact drive path to the Database tables in the TADConnection's Params, it started working.

So any ideas as to what would or could cause this?

Thanks.
Azazaz
BCBJ Guru
BCBJ Guru

Re: FireDAC in XE8 with update 1

Postby Azazaz » Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:35 am

For what it's worth, I seem to remember that there was something I had to do the first time around to get the TFDConnection component to recognize (work with) an Alias, but I neglected to document it. I think it was something I found last time out on someone's web site, but I can't find it now.

If anyone can cast any light on this, I'd appreciate, but I suppose it's not that important.

What is important from my point of view is that, so far at least, the problem with the Debugger not being initialized (and related errors) seems to have gone away.

Maybe I can get some coding done now!

So if anyone else is having this trouble and can't figure out what is causing it, installing everything inside a virtual machine (VirtualBox) -- assuming you have enough ram to do it effectively -- may be a solution for the problem.
Azazaz
BCBJ Guru
BCBJ Guru

Return to Technical