November 2010 Developer's Poll

Use this forum for polls.

How crucial for you is access to the Internet while coding?

(a) Very important (I would be significantly less productive without it)
71%
(b) Somewhat important (I would be slightly less productive without it)
20%
(c) Unimportant
9%

Total votes : 45

November 2010 Developer's Poll

Postby Damon » Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:02 am

This question was inspired by my recent efforts to program while waiting in the airport. I was too cheap to pay the $20 to access the wireless net. And, to top it off, my laptop didn't have any of the normal BCB/MSDN documentation. What I found is that my productivity fell quite noticeably.

I often grab code from BCBJ articles/ZIP files and from MSDN examples. Without such capabilities, I had to rely on memory (and the VCL source code). Not a showstopper (at least in this instance), but I was definitely slower.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

BTW, this question is in regards to using the Internet to search Google Groups, the Embarcadero forums, BCBJ, MSDN, and other online programming resources. Some would argue that access to the Internet is more distracting than helpful! :)

Cheers,
Damon
Damon Chandler
Editor-in-Chief
C++Builder Developer's Journal
http://bcbjournal.com
Damon
BCBJ Editor and Admin
BCBJ Editor and Admin

Re: November 2010 Developer's Poll

Postby gtokas » Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:32 am

It was 2006 3 years after my bad experience with some Greek "authorities" that hold my work without letting me get copies...
I was in search of a solution for a problem and I visited experts-exchange since it was a generic C++ matter that I could translate and use on BCB...
Made a search and I found except solution for generic C++ or VC++ and one in C++ Builder area dated early 2004 in the results..
I clicked the link to see who was answered the question.
And now the best part!
Guess WHO answered the question, in the FIRST comment after the question is made?
YOURS TRULLY did that because I remember the solution at that time (2004) created originally at 2001...
And because I didn't had access to my full code I forgot it...
That was an example for how crucial is internet connection at work...

George Tokas.
"Father is C++ Builder. I'm C++ Killer"
Vangelis Tokas.
12 years old.
gtokas
BCBJ Editor
BCBJ Editor

Return to Polls